Assistant Professorship is a prestigious position in the academic world, offering individuals the opportunity to contribute to the growth of knowledge and shape the minds of future generations. In India, Government universities and colleges regularly conduct recruitment drives to appoint Assistant Professors in various disciplines, including Arts, Science, Engineering, Agriculture, and Medical fields.
This article provides an overview of the Assistant Professor recruitment process in India. Typically, Assistant Professor jobs are open primarily to freshers who have completed a post-graduate degree and, in some cases, require a NET/SET qualification. An Assistant Professor, also referred to as a Lecturer, College Lecturer, or Teaching Associate, is a position commonly found in government universities, institutions, and colleges.
✅ Assistant Professor Jobs Qualifications and Eligibility:
To be eligible for the position of Assistant Professor in government colleges and universities, candidates typically need to meet the following qualifications:
- Educational Qualifications: A Master’s degree in the relevant discipline with at least 55% marks (or an equivalent grade in a point-scale, wherever grading system is followed). For candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST), and Other Backward Classes (OBC), there is a 5% relaxation in marks.
- NET/SLET/SET Qualification: Many universities and colleges require candidates to have cleared the National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by the University Grants Commission (UGC). Alternatively, candidates who have been awarded a Ph.D. degree in accordance with the UGC regulations are exempt from NET.
✅ Latest Assistant Professor Jobs for Freshers in Govt Colleges & Universities:
|Post Name – Total Vacancies||Last date to Apply||Complete Details|
|Assistant Professor – 54||18/11/2023||SVPUAT|
|Assistant Professors – 06||Dec 2023||AIIMS Bhopal|
|Assistant Professor in Medical Disciplines – 05||22/10/2023||Goa PSC|
|Assistant Professor in Energy, Economics, Environment, Climate Change & Other Disciplines – 12||15/11/2023||IGIDR|
|Assistant Professor in Oral Medicine and Radiology / Oral Pathology and Microbiology / Community Dentistry / Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery – 04||01/11/2023||KPSC (Kerala Medical Education Service)|
|Assistant Professor (English Journalism) – 01||27/10/2023||Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC)|
|Assistant Professor – 13||23/10/2023||Central University of Punjab|
|Assistant Professors in Various Disciplines – 10+||27/10/2023||IIT Dhanbad|
|Assistant Professor (Water Resources Engineer) – 02||24/10/2023||NERIWALM|
|Assistant Professor (Organic Chemistry) – 01 on Deputation||Within 60 Days||National Sugar Institute|
✅ Assistant Professor Jobs Application Process:
The application process for Assistant Professor positions generally involves the following steps:
- Notification: Universities and colleges release notifications regarding faculty recruitment, specifying the disciplines, number of vacancies, and eligibility criteria.
- Application Submission: Interested candidates need to submit their applications online through the official portal of the respective institution. This usually involves filling out a detailed application form and uploading relevant documents.
- Screening and Shortlisting: Applications are screened based on the eligibility criteria and academic qualifications. Shortlisted candidates are then invited for further stages of assessment.
- Interview: The final stage often involves a personal interview, where candidates may be asked to give a presentation or lecture on a specific topic related to their field.
- Selection and Appointment: Based on the performance in the interview and other assessment stages, the selected candidates are offered the Assistant Professor position.
✅ Assistant Professor Jobs Remuneration and Benefits:
Assistant Professors in India receive competitive salaries along with various benefits such as provident fund, medical allowances, and access to research grants. Additionally, they have opportunities for professional development and participation in conferences and seminars.