How to Stop Steam From Opening on Startup:
The Steam gaming client is a great way to buy, download and play your favorite PC games, be they AAA blockbusters or indie classics. if you are one steam startHowever, you may find yourself annoyed by some of the quirks behind the platform, including having Steam open automatically when you boot up your PC.
Thankfully, there are a few ways you can prevent this from happening by disabling it in the Steam client or by stopping it in Windows Settings or Mac System Preferences. If you want to know how to stop Steam from automatically opening on startup, especially if you’re worried about slow boot time, you can follow the steps given below.
Changing Steam Startup Settings in the Steam Client
When you install Steam on Windows, the client is set to open automatically when your PC boots up and you sign in. The first sign of this may be your friends list or the main client window that opens after signing up. While this setting isn’t automatically enabled on a Mac, the feature works the same way when enabled.
If you want to reduce the demands on your PC or Mac while booting (and consequently speed up the boot up process), you can prevent Steam from opening automatically. Once this setting is disabled, Steam will only open if you decide to launch the client app manually.
- To do this, make sure the Steam client is running—if it isn’t, launch it from the Start menu (on Windows) or Launchpad (on Mac). Once the Steam client is open and signed in, select Steam > Adjustment in the client window. Mac users must select Steam > like Instead.
- in steam Adjustment menu, select interface Options in the menu on the left. From there, uncheck run steam when my computer is on set checkbox, then select Okay To save
Once you disable this setting, your Steam client should only open when you launch it yourself to play a game, for example. These settings can be reset as a result of updating or reinstalling the client, however, Steam is restarted when your PC or Mac boots up.
If this happens, you’ll need to repeat the steps above to stop it or follow the steps below to make sure Steam won’t open automatically, even if you do so in the Steam client. Enable the setting.
Preventing Steam from Opening on Startup Using Task Manager on Windows
The steps above will help most users prevent Steam from opening automatically on startup. However, an alternative method is to prevent Steam from starting in the Task Manager app if you are running Steam on Windows.
If your Steam settings are reset when the client is updated or reinstalled, for example, disabling the client in Task Manager should ensure that it doesn’t open automatically when your PC boots up again.
- To open Task Manager, right-click the Start menu icon or taskbar and select Task Manager the option.
- In Task Manager window, select start up tab. To find out Steam In the list, right-click the entry, then select Disable. This will prevent Steam from launching, overriding any settings in the Steam client.
Disabling Steam Services on Windows 10
The steps above should prevent Steam from opening automatically when you boot your Windows PC, you can ensure that Steam doesn’t run by disabling certain Steam services. In a special way, Steam Client Bootstrapper The service (also known as the Steam Client Service) is required for this feature to work.
By disabling this service, you can prevent Steam from opening when you boot your PC. This may override other related settings including the boot-up setting displayed above.
However, disabling this service may cause other Steam problems in the long run. if steam does not open Or Steam won’t update properly after disabling the service, you may need to repeat the steps to reinstall and re-enable it to resolve any issues.
- To do this, right-click on the Start menu or taskbar and select Task Manager.
- in new Task Manager window, select Services tab. Search through the list to find Steam Client Bootstrapper or steam customer service enter. Right-click the entry (or entries), then select open services.
- The service you selected should appear in Services Window—if it isn’t, search the list of services to find it. Once you locate the Steam service, right-click on the entry and select a quality.
- In a quality window, select Disabled From startup type drop down menu. As we mentioned, this can cause some difficulties with Steam updating automatically, so if you run into problems, you may need to reinstall the service afterwards. If the service is currently running, select stop button to stop it, then select Okay To save your choice.
Preventing Steam from Opening on Startup Using System Preferences on Mac
If you want to guarantee that Steam won’t open automatically on your Mac, you can disable it in the System Preferences app instead. This will override any settings you may have enabled directly in the Steam client, preventing Steam from launching when your Mac boots up.
- To do this, select apple logo > system Preferences on the menu bar.
- In system Preferences window, select Users and Groups.
- Choose lock icon at the bottom of the window to unlock the menu, then authenticate using your password or Touch ID Credentials.
- Once System Preferences is unlocked, select login item tab. If Steam is set to open automatically when your Mac boots up, it will be listed here. To prevent this from happening again, select Steam in the list, then select minus icon on the bottom.
Enjoy Gaming on Steam
If you want to find out how to prevent Steam from opening on startup, the steps above should cover all of your options. After Steam opens on your terms, you can enjoy gaming on the platform, but don’t forget to Speed Up Your Steam Downloads If things seem a little slow initially.
However, if you are having problems with Steam, you may need run steam as an administrator On Windows to give it the necessary permissions to access your files. you can also think play steam games on android or using other devices steam link feature to leave your desk behind and play pc games remotely.