How to Repair Microsoft Edge on Windows 10:
While Microsoft Edge is a reliable web browser, there are instances when it crashes or refuses to open, thereby interrupting your browsing sessions.
If you rely on Edge for your web browsing sessions, you might want to check out How to Improve Microsoft Edge on your Windows 10 PC To make your browsing experience smooth and efficient.
reboot your pc
reboot your pc There is an easy way to fix many issues in Windows 10 as it resets several temporary settings.
To reboot Windows PC, open start Select Menu, Power icon, and select restart.
When your PC boots up, launch microsoft edge And see if it works.
Close Edge Tabs and Running Apps
One reason Edge crashes or refuses to open is because it doesn’t have enough computer resources to function. You may want to close all open tabs and Apps running on your PC. This frees up resources that Edge can use to resume normal operations.
- To close a tab in Microsoft Edge, select x next to a tab. Do this for all your tabs except the one you want to keep open.
- To close running apps on your PC, select x in the upper-right corner. Repeat this for all the apps running on your PC.
- Reload your tab in Edge and see if the browser works correctly.
update microsoft edge
Keep Microsoft Edge updated with new browser versions to ensure that it has all the latest bug fixes and patches for existing issues. This is one of the most common and easiest ways to fix Microsoft Edge.
While Windows 10 updates Microsoft Edge automatically, you can check for and install available updates manually:
- Open microsoft edge on your PC.
- Click on the three-dots menu at the top-right corner and select Help and Feedback > About Microsoft Edge.
- Edge will automatically begin downloading and installing any available updates.
- After installation, select restart button for the updates to take effect.
Clear browsing data in Microsoft Edge
When you use Microsoft Edge to surf websites, make online purchases, and create website accounts, your browser saves all this information locally as temporary files. Sometimes, this saved information causes Edge to crash and not open properly.
You can do this Clear all data saved in the browser To repair Microsoft Edge. This includes deleting your browsing history, download history, website cookies, cached image files, etc.
pay attention: If you delete your Edge data, it will be deleted from all your devices where you use the same account connected to Edge on your PC. If you don’t want that, sign out of Edge on your PC before clearing the data using the steps below.
- Open microsoft edge on your PC.
- Select the three-dot menu in the upper-right corner and choose Adjustment.
- Choose Privacy, Search and Services from the left sidebar.
- scroll down the right pane clear browsing Data section and select choose what to clean Button.
- In the pop-up window, select all time from time limit Dropdown menu at the top.
- Check all the options shown in this window. Be sure to scroll down so you can check out all the options.
- Choose clear now At the bottom to clear your Edge data.
- relaunch Edge and see if it works properly.
Scan Windows 10 for Viruses and Malware
If a virus infects your Windows 10 PC, it can cause Edge to crash or not load properly. Windows 10 includes the Microsoft Defender antivirus tool that you can use to get rid of viruses and malware from your computer.
run a virus check With this antivirus program, remove the detected virus, and Edge should be working on your PC:
- close microsoft edge If it is running on your PC.
- open to start menu, search Windows Security, and select Windows Security from search results.
- Choose Virus and threat protection.
- Choose scan options.
- Choose full scan the option.
- Choose scan Now at the bottom to start scanning your PC. This may take some time.
update windows 10
Keep your PC updated with the latest Windows Updates to ensure optimum performance and bug-free experience with Edge.
Windows 10 makes it super easy Download and install new updates. You can easily perform the following edge repair procedure on your PC.
- press windows + I to open Adjustment app. Alternatively, open start menu, search Adjustment, and select Adjustment.
- In Adjustment, Choose Updates and Security on the bottom.
- Choose Windows Update on the left sidebar.
- Choose check for updates on the right pane and let Windows find new updates.
- If an update is available, install it on your PC.
- Restart your PC after the update is installed.
- Open Edge and see if it works as intended.
repair microsoft edge
If the methods above don’t work, you can use Windows 10’s built-in Microsoft Edge Repair Tool to reinstall Edge to fix most browser issues. Reinstalling Edge does not remove your browsing data or browser settings. An active internet connection is required to run this tool.
To start repairing Microsoft Edge:
- press windows + I keys to open simultaneously Adjustment app.
- Choose Apps the option
- Choose Apps & Features from the left sidebar.
- Scroll down the right pane until you see microsoft edge.
- Choose microsoft edge in the Apps list and then select Revised.
- In user account Control The prompt that appears, select Yes.
- A new window opens with the title repair microsoft edge. Here, select repair or reinstall the option.
- Wait for the tool to reinstall Edge on your PC.
- After reinstalling Edge of the tool, open Edge And see if you still experience any issues with this browser.
Microsoft Edge is now expected to run on your Windows 10 PC free of any errors. If that’s indeed the case, please let us know which method worked for you in the comments below.