How to Open EPUB Files on Windows:
Microsoft Edge used to allow you to read your favorite e-books directly in the browser. Microsoft has made it possible to open EPUB files through Windows 10 Creators Update, which brought a number of features including EPUB file format support.
Adding EPUB support to Edge was a strategic decision as Microsoft sold eBooks in the Microsoft Store app. In July 2019, once Microsoft removed eBooks entirely, they also ended support for EPUB files, meaning you can no longer open eBooks with the .epub file extension with Microsoft Edge.
Fortunately, you can open EPUB files on Windows using an application that supports them, convert EPUB files to other supported file formats, and then read them on your PC.
How to Open EPUB Files on Windows
You can open EPUB files in most ebook readerBut if you want to open files on your Windows PC, this guide will show you five different ways to do so.
- Using Third-Party ePub Apps
- using browser extensions
- Using Google Play Books
- Change File Name from .ePub to .zip
- Convert EPUB File to PDF
Open EPUB Files Using Third-Party Software
Microsoft has a list of free and premium, Recommended Third-Party .ePub Apps Which open EPUB files. In addition, you can use other free programs such as Caliber, Adobe Digital Editions, or Simple EPUB File Reader.
expansion of intelligence is a free eBook manager that:
- Allows you to open EPUB files
- Keeps your EPUB library organized
- Converts EPUB files to other popular eBook file formats so you can read them on your Windows PC
Here’s how you can use Caliber to open EPUB files on Windows.
- Download and install expansion of intelligence On your computer, open the app, and select add books.
- find and select the ePub file you want to open.
- Highlight and select the EPUB file in the main panel opinion at top.
- An EPUB file will appear in a new window, which you can resize to suit your reading preferences.
adobe digital edition There is a free program that helps you:
- Read e-books you download from popular booksellers or library sites
- Transfer e-books to different devices
- Download and install adobe digital edition.
- Open the software on your Windows PC and then go to file > add to library.
- Find the EPUB file you want to open and double-click on it to open and read it.
Open EPUB Files Using a Browser Extension or Add-on
- On Chrome, find and select EPUBReader from the Chrome Web Store add to chrome.
- Choose add extension To add EPUBReader to Chrome.
- you will get a notification that The EPUBReader extension has been added to Chrome.
- To open your EPUB file, select EPUBReader Chrome Extension Icon top right.
- Choose folder icon in new window.
- Select the EPUB file you want to open Open And start reading your eBook directly in the browser.
Open EPUB Files Through Google Play Books
Google Play Books is an online bookstore with a collection of textbooks, bestsellers, classics and new book releases. You can use the app on your mobile device or use the Web Reader app for Chrome on your Windows PC.
You can upload the EPUB file to your Google Account and open it using Google Play Books In a few quick steps.
- Choose my books left side.
- Choose upload file.
- Choose Add Files From Yourself device or through Google Drive, and click on the blue Choose Button to add EPUB file.
- Once your EPUB file is uploaded to Google Play Books, you will find the file under the My Books section, and you can read it directly on your browser.
pay attentionBooks you add to Google Play Books are visible only to you, meaning no one can see or open them. Also, you cannot customize the book cover.
.ePub renamed to .zip . Open EPUB files by
If you don’t want to open EPUB files on Windows using third-party software, you can rename the file from .ePub to .zip and open it with a file compression program, such as 7-Zip.
- To rename a file, open the location where the file is saved.
- Right-click on the .ePub file and select change name.
- change .ePub suffix with zip and press recorded.
You can also use an online tool like easyzip To convert ePub file to .zip file.
Then, use 7-Zip, WinRar, WinZip, or your favorite file compression program. remove content of files, which are in HTML format. (see Difference between multiple archived compressed file formats)
Convert EPUB File to PDF Open EPUB Files
You can also convert an EPUB file to PDF and open it on your PC. Some Programs That Can Convert EPUB to PDF or Others reading ebooks formats include expansion of intelligence, Zamzar, and Online Ebook Converter.
- If you choose Caliber, add the EPUB file you want to convert to the program, select convert books > convert personally.
- Choose your preferred format, which can be PDF, MOBI, LIT, TXT, FB2, AZW, or PDB, etc.
pay attention: You eBooks. cannot move or convert with DRM protection in other file formats.
- Select eBook. Choose click to open on the right pane to open the EPUB file you converted to PDF.
- Select the PDF file to open, and choose the app you want to use to open the PDF and read the eBook.
Read Digital Books on Your PC
Whether you downloaded or received a file in EPUB format, knowing how to open it on Windows will save you time and a lot of frustration.
Do you have any tips or tricks that help you open EPUB files on Windows? Tell us about it in the comment section.