How to Insert a Watermark in Word and Google Docs:
Add a watermark to images Or before posting documents online is a good way to prevent intellectual property theft and to demonstrate ownership of the document.
This step-by-step guide explains how to add a watermark to Word and Google Docs on your Windows or Mac computer.
How to add a watermark to Word for Windows
You can add a text watermark or your brand logo behind the text on your document by following the steps below.
pay attention: The instructions in this guide apply to the latest versions of Word, but where the instructions differ, we have highlighted those differences.
Enter a text watermark in Microsoft Word for Windows
You can insert a text watermark behind the contents of your document to be displayed in the background of each page.
- Open one Words Select the document and then The design > Water mark.
- Choose Custom watermark > Text watermark.
- Choose Preconfigured watermark From Text drop down menu. Here, you will find options like ASAP, Don’t Copy, Draft, Confidential, Original, Top Secret, Argent and more.
- To enter a custom text watermark, highlight the preconfigured options Text Drop-down menu, hit Remove or Backspace Type your custom text on the keyboard.
pay attention: For Word 2010 or earlier versions, select page layout > Water mark And then choose a preconfigured watermark.
Insert a picture watermark
A picture watermark, like a logo, is an easy way to make your document look official.
- Open a Word document, select The design > Water mark > Custom watermark > Image watermark.
- Choose Select picture And find a picture of yourself or find Bing images.
- Choose Insert To add a picture watermark from a file, Bing or OneDrive to your document.
How to add a watermark to Word for Mac
If you are using a Mac, follow the steps below to insert a text or picture watermark into Word.
Enter text watermark
pay attention: For this guide, we are using the latest version of Word running macOS Big Sur on a Mac.
- Open word, select The design > Water mark With ribbon or Insert> watermark From the top menu.
- Choose Text In Insert watermark Dialog box and then type your custom text or use a pre-configured text watermark.
- You can also set the font, size, layout, orientation, and color to customize the watermark. To change the orientation, select The design > Water markGo for Orientation Choose more Horizontal or Diagonal.
pay attention: If the watermark does not appear in the preview window, select opinion > print layout To enable preview and then select Okay To complete the process.
- Increase transparency of watermarked text if it makes it difficult to read the contents of the document. Alternatively, choose a lighter color for the watermark text.
Insert a picture watermark
You can insert your company logo-like image as a watermark in Word for Mac.
- On Mac, choose The design > Water mark > picture > Select picture And browse to the picture you want to use as a watermark.
- Check out Washout Box next to Scale And then choose Okay.
Enter a watermark to appear once per page in Word for Windows
If you do not want your watermark to appear on every page of your document, you can change the setting so that it appears once per page. This option only works on Word for Windows.
- Select page and then select The design > Water mark.
- Next, right-click on the watermark and then select Enter current document state.
- The watermark will appear as a text box in the selected page.
How to save a watermark for use in other documents
If you want to reuse a picture watermark in the future, you can save it as a custom watermark. Again, this option only works on Word for Windows.
- Double-click the header area, move your cursor to the watermark and then click on the watermark to select it.
- Choose The design > page background > Water mark > Save Selection to Watermark Gallery.
- Label the custom watermark and then select Okay.
- When you are ready to add a custom watermark to another document, select the watermark below Mango In the Watermark Gallery.
- Double-click the header area, move the cursor to the watermark, and then click to select the watermark.
- Choose page layout > page background > Water mark > Save selection to Watermark gallery And label your watermark. Choose Okay To save a watermark.
How to edit text or picture watermark in Word?
A watermark is usually a part of the header in a Word document, even if it is displayed in the middle of the page. The steps to edit the watermark in Word are given below.
- Double-click to open the header area of the page and click on the watermark to select it. By default, watermarks are centered on the page, but you can drag the watermark to place it anywhere on the page.
- Select watermark and then use Wordart tools Tab or Picture tool Tab to change the font, size, style or color of the watermark.
How to add a watermark to Word for the web
The best way to work with watermarks is in a Word desktop application instead of a mobile app or Word Online.
If you are using Word for the web, you can already see the watermarks in your document, but you cannot insert new watermarks or change them. However, if you have a Word desktop app, you can. Can open the document using Open in word or Open in desktop app Do the command and insert or change the watermark from there.
Once done, save the document and it will be stored where you opened it in Word for the web and your watermarks will appear when you reopen the document.
How to remove a watermark in Word
If you don’t like the watermark on your document or don’t need it anymore, you can remove it in a few simple steps.
- In Word for Windows, select The design > Water mark > remove Water mark.
- You can also double-click on the header area, place your cursor on the watermark and click to select the watermark. Press Remove Repeat the process on your keyboard to remove all watermarks.
- On a Mac, select The design > Water mark > No watermark.
How to add a watermark to Google Docs
Google Docs lacks a built-in watermarking utility like Word, but you can use Google Drawing to create a watermark before putting it in your document.
Enter text watermark in Google Docs
A text watermark is usually located behind the contents of your document and helps others know which version of the document is in use.
- Open Google picture And then choose Insert > text box.
- Select the text box icon on the menu bar and then drag your cursor to create a text box for the watermark. In the text box, type the text for the watermark and then edit to change the size, font, color, or orientation.
- Give your watermark a name. Select the Google document you want to add a watermark to. Edit > Select all And then press Ctrl + C To copy text.
- Next, go back Google picture Page and choose Insert > text box.
- Click and drag from the top left of the page to the bottom right or wherever you want your text to start and end, and then press Ctrl + V To paste the text.
- Right-click on the watermark or the text you just pasted in Google Drawings, and then select count To layer a watermark in front or behind a text.
- Open a blank Google Docs document and then choose Insert > Painting > From drive.
- Choose watermark and select Choose > Contact to source or Insert unlink.
- Choose Insert.
Insert an image watermark in Google Docs
With Google Pictures, you can create an image watermark and then import it into Google Docs.
- Open Google picture, Choose Insert > The image And choose your image.
- Drag the image around the screen to adjust its position, resize or rotate it.
- Choose The format > Format option > Adjustment To make any adjustments to the image before adding it as a watermark. You can also Change transparency So that the watermark does not overshadow the text.
- Give your watermark a name and then follow steps 3-9 in the previous section to insert a watermark from Drive in Google Docs.
Enter a watermark in Word or Google Docs using watermark software
You can also enter a watermark using software like SnagIt, You mark or ArcLab Watermark Studios. All these watermark tools are compatible with Windows and Mac computers. All three options are paid tools with free trials, except iWatermark, which offers a free version so you can test each before you commit to a monthly subscription.
Add a watermark to any document
Whether you want to prevent unauthorized use of your documents or you want to standardize your official documents, creating and adding watermarks is not so difficult.
Leave a comment and let us know if this guide helped you put a watermark in Word or Google Docs.