How to Fix Bootmgr is Missing in Windows 10:
if your Windows PC refuses to start And displays the “Bootmgr is missing” error, there are many ways to fix the issue and boot the PC in general.
There are various reasons for this error, but it usually occurs when there is a problem with corruption of system files on the PC.
1. Restart your pc
When you first encounter the “Bootmgr is missing” error and the operating system is not launched (you cannot be found on the desktop), restart your PC.
- Use Power Press the button on your PC to turn it off (you may have to hold it for 30 seconds), and then press the same button to turn the PC back on.
- Alternatively, press Ctrl + Alt + Of To restart your PC.
- This resets many system items, and if your issue is caused by a minor glitch, it should be fixed.
2. Check for bootable media
Go ahead and take out any USB drives, CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs, etc., which could possibly confuse your computer, thinking that it is a bootable device when it really isn’t. By default, most computers are setup to boot from CD / DVD drives and USB drives before booting from the primary hard drive. If you have multiple hard drives, read the next solution below.
3. Change boot order to BIOS
If the PC is not booting from the primary hard drive, but rather from an additional drive that does not have the necessary files to boot the computer, a “bootmagre is missing” error can also occur. To fix this, change the boot order in your computer’s BIOS and set your primary drive to boot order first by following the steps below:
- turn off your PC.
- Boot your pc in BIOS mode. In most PCs, you can press and hold F2 Key and then press Power Button to do so. If this button combination does not work for you then check your PC manufacturer’s website.
- In the BIOS, head to BOOT Tab using the arrow keys.
- Use arrow keys to highlight Boot option # 1 And press Enter.
- Select your hard drive where Windows is installed and press Enter.
- Press right-arrow key to reach Security Tab and choose Boot safe.
- Highlight Secure boot control, Press Enter, And select Disabled.
- Press the right-arrow key to go to save exit Tab.
- Choose save Changes and exit.
Hopefully this will fix the error. If not, proceed to the steps listed below.
४. Unplug USB and other devices from your PC
If you have connected any USB or other devices to your computer, unplug them from your PC and see if it fixes the problem.
Sometimes, an incompatible external device can cause issues with Windows.
5. Run startup repair
Use a Windows 10 or Windows 7 installation drive (either a disk or a USB drive) and follow the steps below to start and use startup repair. You can read our guide how Create a bootable usb drive with windows.
- Insert a Windows installation disk / drive into your computer.
- Boot your PC from this installation drive. Change boot order Set your installation drive as the primary boot drive as shown in the BIOS section above.
- Select options such as language and currency from the dropdown menu, and choose next.
- Choose repair your computer.
- Choose troubleshoot problems And then select startup Repair.
- Choose your Windows installation.
- Windows should start fixing your computer.
६. Rebuild boot configuration data
The “Bootmgr is missing” error is also displayed when there is a problem with the boot configuration data. Fortunately, this data can be recreated using some commands and Windows installation drives.
- Boot your PC with a bootable Windows installation drive.
- Select the required details on the first screen, and choose next.
- Choose repair your computer.
- Choose troubleshoot problems And then select command prompt.
- In the command prompt, type bootrec / RebuildBcd And press Enter.
- If the command detects a Windows installation, it tells you to add an entry to it. Type Yes And press Enter.
- If the command cannot find the Windows installation, type the following command one by one to rebuild the BCD. Change where you say C If C is not your Windows installation drive.
Bcdedit / Export C: BCD_Backup
ren C: boot bcd bcd.old
Bootrec / rebuildbcd
- When the command has been executed, restart your PC.
- Choose the repair option again and Windows will start fixing your PC.
… Use system restore
system Restore Helps to get your PC back to working condition. It is worth restoring one of the system restore points to see if the “bootmgre is missing” error is fixed.
- Boot your PC from the Windows installation drive and select repair your computer.
- Choose troubleshoot problems And then choose system Restore.
- Choose your Windows installation and choose next On the first screen of the System Restore Wizard.
- Select and choose the most recently restored point in the list next on the bottom.
- Choose Finish To start reinstalling your PC.
Once fixed the PC should work properly but if not, try the other improvements listed below.
… Clean windows 10 or 7
If your PC continues to display “bootmagre is missing” despite following the above methods, it might be a good idea Clean install windows 10 Or Windows 7 on your PC.
When you clean Windows, everything stored on your computer is removed and a new version of the operating system is installed. This helps to fix any problems caused by existing corrupted or missing system files.
Take a look at our guide to learning How to install windows on your computer.
९. Change your hard drive
If any of the above steps did not fix the “Bootmgre is missing” error, then your hard drive could possibly be the problem, in which case it should be replaced. You can easily find a compatible hard drive online on many sites, ie Crucial.com.
If you were lucky enough to backup your system before the error started, you can read our guide on how Restore windows 10 backup For his new campaign.
To fix the “Bootmgr is missing” error on your PC, leave a comment below to explain the method described above.