How to Find the Best Wi-Fi Channel on Windows, Mac and Linux:
If you are experiencing Frequent connection drops Or, your router may be using a congested Wi-Fi channel if the speed isn’t what you expect. A congested channel does not allow the Wi-Fi signal to run smoothly, and it causes problems with your connection.
Fortunately, there are ways to find the best Wi-Fi channel in your area and get your router to use that channel. This way, your router uses the most efficient channel to pass the signal and improve your connection.
There are various tools you can use to find the best Wi-Fi channel on Windows, Mac, and Linux computers. In this guide, we’ll focus on channel numbers 1, 6, and 11 for Wi-Fi 2.4GHz. This is because these channels do not overlap with each other.
Find the Best Wi-Fi Channels on Windows 10
On Windows 10, you can use one of the Multiple Wi-Fi Scanner Tools To find the most efficient Wi-Fi channel in your area. These tools scan the networks around you and then let you analyze the reports. You can then find the channel with the least crowd in these reports.
Here are two free apps you can use on Windows 10 to find the best Wi-Fi channel for your router.
Use WiFi Analyzer to Find the Best Wi-Fi Channels
WiFi Analyzer is a free app on the Microsoft Store that you can use to get information about Wi-Fi networks around you. app first Scans nearby networks and then lets you watch the channel of each network.
Using this data, you can find the least congested Wi-Fi channel in your area and then use that channel with your router.
- open to Microsoft Store and download free wifi analyzer app.
- Install and launch the app.
- Choose Network tab at the top of the app.
- In Network On the tab, you will see a list of all the wireless networks near you along with their channels.
- Find the least used channel. For example, in the screenshot, channel 8 is the least congested channel.
Use WifiInfoView to Find the Best Wi-Fi Channels
WifiInfoView is another free app that you can use to scan Wi-Fi networks near you and get their channel information.
- Free download and launch wifi info view app on your PC. This is a portable app, so you don’t need to install it.
- On the app interface, select the column that says Channel. It sorts the available Wi-Fi networks according to the number of channels they are using.
- See which channel is the least used here.
- go ahead and configure your router To use the least congested channel from this list.
Find the Best Wi-Fi Channels on macOS
macOS comes with a built-in Wi-Fi analyzer tool and you can use it to find channel information for nearby networks. The tool also tells you the best Wi-Fi channel to use straight away so you don’t have to do any digging.
- press and hold the option key on your keyboard and select the Wi-Fi icon in your Mac’s menu bar.
- From the menu that opens, choose Open Wireless Diagnostics.
- You’ll see wireless diagnostics Window. Do not select anything in this window. Instead, choose Window > scan Options in the menu bar at the top.
- On scan In the window that opens, select scan Now on the bottom.
- Now you can see all nearby Wi-Fi networks along with the channels they use.
- On the left side of the window, macOS tells you which channel you should use for both your 2.4GHz and 5GHz routers. These channels are the best Wi-Fi channels you should use with your router.
Find the Best Wi-Fi Channels on Linux
On various distributions of Linux, including Ubuntu, you can run a command from the terminal to get a list of Wi-Fi channels used by networks around you.
To do this:
- Open terminal on your Linux computer.
- Type the following command and press recorded: sudo iwlist wlan0 scan | grep (channel
- The least frequently shown channel in Terminal is the one you should be using with your Wi-Fi router.
- You can now close your terminal window.
Change the channel of your Wi-Fi router Change
Since each router offers a unique setting menu, there is no exact set of instructions you can follow. Change the Wi-Fi Channel on Your Router.
However, you can use the following general steps to change your router’s Wi-Fi channel. The options in your specific router may not be the same as the steps below, but you will get the idea.
- Access your router’s settings page in your web browser. For most routers, you can do this by typing 192.168.1.1 in your browser’s address bar by pressing more recorded.
- On the login page of the router, enter the correct login credentials and select Okay. use multiple routers admin as the default username and password.
- Choose Wireless Settings (or similar) from the top menu bar.
- From the left sidebar, select Wireless Basic Settings.
- On the right pane, select Channel Select the dropdown menu and Best Wi-Fi Channel. Here, the best Wi-Fi channel is the one you found to be the least congested in the above procedures.
- Save your changes by selecting Okay on the bottom.
- navigate to Maintenance Tab to the top and select restart the router. This reboots your router.
And your wireless router now uses the most efficient Wi-Fi channel!
If you notice a difference in your Wi-Fi speed or no connection drop anymore, let us know in the comments below.