How to Download Files and View Code from GitHub:
Sixty-five million developers and three million organizations can’t be wrong. Hosting over 200 million code repositories, GitHub is the development platform of choice for the individual coder and companies around the world. Developers use GitHub to build, maintain, and even distribute their software so that users like you can download files and view the code directly from GitHub.
GitHub makes it easy to download and view the app’s source code. This guide will show you how to download files directly from GitHub’s website so you can view a project’s code yourself.
install a code viewer
Before you can download any code, you must install a program capable of viewing that code. Visual Studio Code is a free, open source and streamlined code editor that allows users to view and debug code and run tasks.
Download and install visual studio code By following the installation wizard. You will then be ready to view the files and code that you can download from GitHub.
There are many different code editors. If a project was created with a different IDE (Integrated Development Environment), Visual Studio may not be ideal for editing that code. Having said that, Visual Studio Code will allow you to edit the code of most projects on GitHub, and it will always work if all you want to do is opinion code.
Downloading the latest release of a project on GitHub
suppose you are one programmer For anyone who wants to download project files open source piece of software. On GitHub, project files are posted to repositories, and each project has a repository home page. You don’t have to have a user account on GitHub to view or download files.
Follow these steps to download the latest release of the project you are interested in.
- go for github.com.
- Search the project by name in GitHub’s search box.
- Navigate to the home page for the repository.
- search releases section and select the latest version. On GitHub’s desktop site, the releases are in the sidebar on the right. Alternatively, you can add /release for the repository url. The topmost release will be the most recent.
- Next, find and expand Property section.
- Since you want to see the code, download the source code .zip file. Linux users should download the source code tar.gz file.
- Extract the source code archive you downloaded in Step 6.
- Switch to Visual Code Editor and select file > open the folder. Navigate to and select the folder you extracted in Step 7.
- Squeeze select folder Button.
- In Visual Studio Code, you will see the project listed on the left. You can expand the dropdown arrow to see all the files included in the project.
- Select the project file in the left-hand panel, and the code will appear in the workspace on the right.
The steps above walk you through how to view files from the latest release of a project on GitHub. But what if you want to view files from a specific branch of the project?
download from a specific branch
In GitHub, a repository can have multiple branches. Each branch has a unique name, and contains a set of code changes. It is a copy of a particular piece of code at a particular point in time where you can make changes without destroying the original. Code changes are made inside branches and then, if requested and approved, can be merged back into the main working version of the project called master branch.
Let’s imagine that you want to download and view files from a specific branch of a project on GitHub. To do this, follow these steps:
- Search the project by name and navigate to the project’s repository home page.
- search branch dropdown, and select the branch you want to download. In general, Guru ji The branch contains the latest code, but not always.
- Now that you have selected the branch you want, find and select the green one code button, choose either download zip or, if you see the option, open with visual studio. (You can also see an option Open with GitHub Desktop.)
- Extract the ZIP file and open the extracted folder from within Visual Studio Code by following steps 7-11 in the section above.
By following the above steps, you can view code from a specific branch of a project on GitHub. Next, we’ll discuss how to go even deeper and download files from a specific committed.
download from a specific commit
Every time a code change is applied to a repository, it is stored in a . is added through committed. The commit contains all changes since the last code update. If you’re trying to debug problems caused by a recent code change, you may want to download from a specific commit.
- Navigate to the repository home page and select the branch you want to work with. Normally, this would be the master branch.
- find and select does Contact.
- Select the commit you want to download by selecting the title of the commit.
- You are now on the page of the commit you selected. Next, choose search in files Button.
- find and select green code button, and choose either download zip or, if it is available, open with visual studio.
- Finally, extract the zip file and open the extracted folder in Visual Studio Code.
There’s more to GitHub
Downloading and viewing project files from GitHub It’s only the tip of the iceberg. Ultimately, you’ll want to fork a repository, clone it to the local repository, commit the changes, push the changes back to your fork, and then ask the project owner to merge your changes into the source repository. You can submit a pull request for