How to Convert WEBP Images to JPG, GIF, or PNG:
The WEBP format compares to images encoded using traditional standards such as JPEG and PNG, but at a significantly smaller file size. You will come across them on most desktop browsers because they make web pages load faster.
But since support for the WEBP format has increased since Google introduced it back in 2010, they’re most likely not compatible (especially with legacy image editing applications).
So below, you’ll find several methods for converting WEBP images to the widely compatible JPG and PNG formats. You will also learn about the best way to save animated WEBP images in GIF format.
Use a Browser Extension to Convert WEBP Images
If you see a WEBP image while browsing the website in the desktop versions of Chrome or Firefox, you can choose to save it to your PC or Mac in JPG and PNG with the help of browser extensions.
A cursory search for “WEBP” on the Chrome Web Store or Firefox Add-ons Store should reveal a number of extensions with WEBP image conversion functionality, but here are a handful of extensions you can use right away:
Google Chrome: save image as type
Mozilla Firefox: Save WebP as PNG or JPEG
Tip: You can also install the extension from the Chrome Web Store Chromium-Based Web Browser Like Microsoft Edge, Opera and Vivaldi.
1. Download and Install save image as type Detailed.
2. Load the web page in any browser tab and right-click on the image you want to save.
3. Point Two save image as type choose more save as jpg or save as png. Then, specify a location on the internal storage and select save.
Alternatively, you can save any JPG or PNG image in WEBP format by selecting Save as WEBP the option.
1. Download and Install Save WebP as PNG or JPEG Detailed.
2. Load the webpage in any browser tab and right-click on the image you want to save.
3. Select save web as and pick between jpg and png format. The extension offers several conversion options especially for the JPG format at various quality levels. If you don’t want to lose visual quality, select JPG (100).
you can also choose GIF (V), which will automatically transfer the URL of the animated WEBP image to EZGIF.com, where you can convert and download it to GIF format. You’ll find out more about online file converters below.
Use Paint or Preview to Convert WEBP Images
If you’ve already finished downloading a WEBP image, you can simply drag it back into the browser window and save it as a JPG or PNG Format using the above extension.
Alternatively, you can use the native Paint (Windows) or Preview (Mac) apps to convert WEBP images to JPG or PNG. You can also save them in GIF format, but none of the applications support animated WEBP images.
1. Right-click on the WEBP image and select open with > color.
2. Open file menu and point in paint save as. Then, choose png images or jpeg photo.
3. Specify and select a location save.
pay attention: If you cannot open the WEBP image in Paint, install webp image extension From Microsoft Store and try again.
1. Double-click the WEBP image to open it Preview.
2. Open Edit menu and select export.
3. Open format menu and select jpeg or PNG. if you choose jpeg, use Quality Slider to set the level of compression going into the conversion. Then, choose save.
pay attention: You can also use Preview to Batch to convert WEBP images to JPG and PNG formats. However, using a dedicated third-party app (check out the next section) is more convenient.
Batch Convert WEBP Images Using Third-Party Apps
If you want to convert multiple WEBP images to JPG or PNG formats, the best way to do so is by downloading and installing a free image conversion utility. Here are three tools you can use on a desktop device.
irfan view (Windows only)
IrfanView is an incredibly lightweight and fast graphics viewer that allows you to batch convert images. It supports WEBP format as long as you also install Irfanview All Plugins Pack.
1. Download and install IrfanView and IrfanView All Plugins Pack.
2. Open Irfanview. then, open file menu and select batch conversion/rename.
3. Select the WEBP images you want to convert and select Add all. Then, specify a output format choose more start batch.
webp converter (MacOS only)
If you use a Mac, you can download and install the WebpConverter app through the Mac App Store to convert WEBP images to JPG or PNG formats in batches.
1. Download and Install web converter.
2. Use add files Button in WebpConverter to queue up files for conversion.
3. Use the menu at the bottom-left of the screen to set the output format—eg jpg to webp. Then, choose convert.
convert xn (Windows and macOS)
XnConvert supports both Windows and macOS and comes with the ability to batch batch images (including WEBP) between popular image formats. It also provides multiple output options to optimize the conversion process.
1. Download and install XnConvert.
2. Open XnConvert and select the WEBP images you want to convert.
3. Switch production Tab to specify your image output preferences (keep or delete metadata, preserve color profiles, delete originals, etc.). Then, choose convert.
Convert animated WEBP images to GIF
you have many ways Convert animated WEBP images to GIF format, but the fastest way is to use an online conversion tool. There are a number of services you can use for this, but some notable selections include:
Most sites allow you to upload one or more animated WEBP images for conversion. After doing this, specify gif As the output format, start the conversion process, and download the converted files to the local storage.
Alternatively, you can paste the URLs of any WEBP images for conversion. This lets you download them directly in GIF format.
Start Converting Your WEBP Images
The above pointers should have helped you to convert WEBP image to JPG, GIF, or PNG format. If you come across WEBP images on an Android or iPhone, you can easily find several image conversion apps on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store that you can use to save them to a different compatible format. Or, use any of the file conversion sites listed above.