Graphics Driver Showing Microsoft Basic Display Adapter? How to Fix It:
Does your Windows 10 PC show Microsoft Basic Display Adapter as this? graphics card driver? In some cases, this means that you will experience a downgraded visual quality on your computer screen. This includes non-fluid animations and other lag issues.
Fortunately, on most PCs, you can convert this Microsoft Basic display adapter to Intel HD Graphics or any other graphics card that your PC uses in a few easy clicks.
Why Windows 10 Shows Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
Microsoft Basic Display Adapter is the driver that Windows 10 uses for your graphics card in the absence of a manufacturer’s drive. When your system does not find a driver installed for your particular graphics card, it uses the default Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver.
Users usually experience this error when they Upgrade the Operating System on Your Computer.
Windows uses this native adapter driver to create graphics on the screen until the actual graphics card driver is installed.
Should You Be Worried If Your PC Shows Microsoft Basic Display Adapter?
No, if your PC shows Microsoft Basic Display Adapter as the graphics card driver then you should not worry. It’s not an error, and these drivers are just as good as any other graphics card drivers.
However, since your graphics card manufacturer knows your card better than anyone else, your manufacturer can provide you with better drivers that produce higher-quality visuals on your screen.
This means that you should get the genuine drivers from your graphics card manufacturer as soon as possible.
Where Windows 10 Shows the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
Your PC displays the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter entry in several places on your computer. This includes Device Manager and directx Diagnostic Tools.
You’ll find this entry in Device Manager as follows:
- open to start menu, search device Manager, and select device Manager in search results.
- On device Manager window, select display adapters the option.
- extended guideline . In display adapters menu, you should find microsoft basic display adapter enter. The screenshot below does not show the entry because our PC uses Intel’s UHD graphics drivers.
In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, you’ll find an entry like this:
- press windows + r to open keys at the same time Daud Box.
- Type the following in the Run box and press recorded: dxdiag
- in the open DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, select Display tab at the top.
- In Display tab, under device section, look at the value of Name field. it should say microsoft basic display adapter. In the screenshot below, it is not said because our PC uses Intel’s UHD graphics drivers.
How to fix it when Windows 10 displays Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
Now you know where and why Windows 10 shows Microsoft Basic Display Adapter as a graphics card driver.
Let’s take a look at some solutions for replacing the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter with the actual driver for your graphics card.
Install Graphics Card Drivers With Windows 10 Update
In Windows 10, different hardware drivers are installed automatically When you update your PC. These Windows 10 updates bring the necessary drivers to your computer, making it easier for different devices to work with your PC.
As long as your graphics card comes from a manufacturer that includes their drivers in Windows Update, you can use this method. Most of the reputable graphics card manufacturers like Intel, Nvidia and AMD are supported.
To install graphics card drivers with Windows Update:
- press windows + I keys to open at the same time Adjustment.
- Choose Updates and Security at the bottom of Adjustment Window.
- Choose Windows Update From the sidebar on the left.
- In the right-hand pane, select check for updates.
- If any updates are available, install them.
- Restart your PC.
To confirm that your graphics card driver has been replaced, use either Device Manager or the DirectX Diagnostic Tool procedure outlined above.
Install graphics card drivers manually
if Windows Update not installed Required drivers, you should download the original drivers from your graphics card’s manufacturer site and install the drivers manually.
The site to download the driver depends on which graphics card you have. Here, we’ll show you how to download graphics card drivers for Intel, Nvidia, and AMD.
Download Intel Graphics Card Drivers:
- open to Intel download for graphics site in your web browser.
- If you know which drivers to download, select those drivers from the list and download them to your computer.
- If you’re not sure what drivers to get, choose get started at top. Then, install the Intel utility which automatically finds Intel products on your computer and installs their drivers for you.
Download Nvidia Graphics Card Drivers:
- Open a new tab in your browser and access nvidia downloads Page.
- On the download page, use the dropdown menu to select your specific graphics card model. Then, choose search below the menu.
- Shows nvidia available drivers. Choose download button to download specific drivers to your computer.
- Select the driver installation process by double-clicking on the downloaded file next Button.
Download AMD Graphics Card Drivers:
- launch AMD Drivers and Support site in your browser.
- If you do not know your graphics card model, select download now from Auto-detect and install updates section at the top. It downloads a utility that will automatically find your graphics card and install drivers for it.
- If you know your specific graphics card model, use the menu at the bottom of the page to select your card, and then select submitted.
- You can now download the driver for your selected graphics card model.
- Run the downloaded file to install the drivers on your PC.
change graphics card
It’s rare not to find your graphics card drivers in Windows Update or your card manufacturer’s site. But, if this is the case with you as well, you have two options.
The first option is to continue using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver. This will at least keep your display on.
Another option is to replace your graphics card with a different one. it means that Getting a Compatible Graphics Card From a reputable manufacturer to make sure you get the driver for your card.
Were you able to replace the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter with the actual driver for your graphics card? If so, please let us know which method worked for you in the comments below.